Carer’s assessment

Carer’s assessment

If you’re a carer, a carer’s assessment is a chance to discuss your needs with your local authority. The assessment is free and your local authority will use it to decide what support to give you. You are entitled to an assessment no matter what your level of need, or the amount of care you provide, or your financial circumstances.

Don’t be put off by the word ‘assessment‘. It is not a test about how good you are at caring. It is to work out what can be done to make life easier for you.  Find out more at

Find out more about the assessment relevant to you in the sections below.

Adult carers+

If eligible, a carer’s assessment can lead to support being provided to you or the person you care for to reduce the impact of caring on you.

As a minimum all carers must be provided with information and advice on local services to prevent your needs from developing further, and to give you the tools to seek further support if needed in the future. The assessment will cover:

  • whether you’re willing and able to carry on providing care
  • whether your caring responsibilities have any impact on your wellbeing
  • whether you need any support
  • what you’d like to achieve in your day-to-day life. For example, you might want more time to take part in activities you enjoy
  • whether you qualify for any help from the council.

For more information about how to access a carer’s assessment in your area, visit the links below or call us on 01480 499090.

Parent carers+

If you are a parent of a disabled child aged under 18, your child can be assessed by the local authority under law relating to the needs of children in the Children and Families Act 2014.

You will also be assessed as part of that process because social services will look at the needs of the family as a whole. This is often referred to as a ‘holistic’ assessment.

The assessment should take into account detailed information about your family, including:

  • your family’s background and culture
  • your own views and preferences
  • the needs of any other children you have.

The assessment is not a test of your parenting skills, but should be a sensitive look at any challenges your family has as a whole, with a view to considering what support or services you need.

A care plan should be drawn up that would include services to benefit both you and your disabled child. For example, there could be adaptations to your home, help with bathing or regular respite breaks to ensure you get the rest you need.

For more information about how to access a parent carers’ needs assessment in your area, visit the links below or call us on 01480 499090.

Young carers+

Thanks to the Children and Families Act 2014, all young carers have a right to an assessment of their needs. This is irrespective of how much care you provide or who you care for.

To find out how to access a young carer’s needs assessment in your area, please call or visit the links below:

Young adult carers+

As you approach 18, the pathways of receiving and accessing support and services change. Making sure that you have information, options and choices in relation to your caring role and life is key.

Young adult carers are entitled to a transition assessment as they approach the age of 18 – at what age this is done will depend on what is best for you and your family.

The transition assessment should support you and your family to plan for the future, by providing you with information about what you can expect. All transition assessments must include an assessment of:

  • current needs for care and support and how these impact on wellbeing
  • whether you are likely to have needs for support after you turn 18
  • if so, what those needs are likely to be, and which are likely to be eligible needs
  • the outcomes you wish to achieve in day-to-day life (such as employment/training, further education and independent housing) and how you can be supported to achieve them.

Transition assessments for young adult carers must also specifically consider whether you:

  • are able to care now and after you turn 18
  • are willing to care now and will continue to be after you turn 18
  • work or wish to do so
  • are or wish to participate in education, training or recreation.

To find out how to access a young adult carer’s transition assessment in your area, please call or visit the links below:

Page last modified: 25 November 2022