The What If? Plan is to help you:
- Think about what if something happens to you or in the case of an unplanned event or emergency wherein you are unable to look after the person you care for
- Be prepared by identifying family, friends or paid care worker – someone who can be contacted to take over some of your caring duties
- Have peace of mind
What is a What If? Plan?+
This is a free service funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council to look after adults with care needs during an emergency involving their carer.
If the person you look after lives in Cambridgeshire or Peterborough you can register your What If? Plan with us. You will be sent a carer card, emergency key fob and contact details to use in an emergency
Why have a What If? Plan?+
The What If? Plan provides emergency support to the person you care for in the event of you being unable to care because of a sudden illness, accident or other unplanned event. This is done by contacting your nominated contacts for you, with essential back-up support available, if required.
When can you use your What If? Plan?+
The service operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year.
It can provide emergency support to the person you care for, in the event of you being unable to care because of a sudden illness, accident or other unplanned event.
Who can register a What If? Plan?+
You can register for a What If? Plan if:
- the person you look after lives in Cambridgeshire or Peterborough
- the person you look after is over 18*
* If you are a parent carer looking after someone who is under 18 you can register an emergency plan with us and in the case of an emergency we would contact your nominated contact(s) on your behalf.
What counts as an emergency?+
An emergency counts as anything that you have not been able to plan for such as:
- Sudden illness
- Unplanned admission to hospital
- Family emergency (e.g. close relative taken ill)
- Risk to employment
- Had an accident or car has broken down
- Unable to care due to impact of caring on physical/mental wellbeing.