Support with your finances this winter

30th November 22

If you are caring for a family member or friend, you may be struggling with living costs for a range of reasons.

We understand that it’s not an easy time for many people at the moment, and we want to let you know that you do not have to cope with these struggles alone.

Here are a few ways in which you can get help and support from Caring Together and other organisations.

Support from Caring Together


The ‘Financial Support’ section of our website has a wealth of information ranging from household support funds you can apply for to winter fuel payments.

Click here for the Financial Support section on our website.

Energy costs

The rising cost of energy will affect many of us this winter and it could be a struggle to pay our gas and electricity bills.

Many unpaid carers may be especially affected by rising energy because they need to keep the person they care for safe and warm at home.

Free Keeping Warm and Safe webinar

We have teamed up with National Energy Action, the national fuel poverty charity, to run a free ‘Keeping Warm and Safe’ webinar on Monday 12 January, 10.00am – 11.30am.

The webinar will give unpaid carers from Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and Norfolk, an opportunity to find out more about:

  • the links between warmth and health
  • advice on how to save energy and money this winter
  • help they may be entitled to and how to access it.

There will also be an opportunity to ask questions.

Click here to book your free place. 

Warm hubs

Warm hubs are running throughout Cambridgeshire and Peterborough during the winter months of 2022/23.

If you are caring for a family member or friend, the hubs offer a friendly and inclusive place where you and the person you care for may wish to go along to.

The warm hubs offer somewhere for you stay healthy and well, socialise, take part in activities, receive advice on how to reduce energy bills and access financial support. They take place in a range of settings including community centres, church halls, mosques and libraries.

Several hubs have cafes with the option to pay what you can.

Click on the links below for a list of hubs in:

Further help with living costs

The Household Support Fund provided by Cambridgeshire County Council, may be able to help you if you are in financial hardship and cannot pay your living costs. Maybe you have had to give up work or reduce your hours to care for a family member or friend.

This is one of many reasons why people might not be able to pay their living costs.

If you are eligible, they can:

  • Provide emergency financial help
  • Supply essential household goods and furniture
  • Give support, guidance and advice

You will need to complete an application with evidence of your financial situation.

Click here for further information about the Household Support Fund and how to apply.

Help with food costs

The Trussell Trust food banks provide emergency food and support. To get help from the food bank you will need to be referred with a voucher. Your local food bank will advise you on which health and care professionals or organisations can refer you to a food bank.

Click here to find a food bank in your area

Help for households

The government has produced information to help you see what cost of living support you could be eligible for. This is at

The advice includes help with:

Specialist Carer Advice Line

If you want to, you can call our specialist carer advice line and our advisors can talk through with you what local and national support is available based on your personal needs and situation.

You can speak to someone from our advice line team on 0345 241 0954 or email [email protected]

Our advice line is free to call from both landline and mobile telephones.

Posted in Uncategorised