Cambridge City Council

Independent living service

Ditchburn Place

Mill Road




United Kingdom

There are four sections that make up the independent living service:

  • Sheltered housing is specialist housing for people of retirement age, who wish to live with people of a similar age. In all cases, people live in their own flat in either a ‘scheme’ i.e. with additional communal lounges or in a block of flats allocated for people over 60. In both types of housing residents have access to an emergency alarm which can be used to call for urgent help when needed. For those who require it, an independent living facilitator will to help meet their support needs.
  • The 65+ service is available to owner occupiers and tenants over the age of 65. Staff are skilled in assessing the needs of older people and will help them access services such as social care, meals, adaptations, help with benefits, rehousing and other services which help people to maintain independence in their own home for as long as possible.
  • Cambridge community alarm service provide pendant alarms for city residents living in their own or rented home. The service is open to all ages. The alarm helps to provide reassurance that in the event of a problem, the person can press their button and call for help. For those without a named emergency contact a member of staff will attend to assist them. To be eligible customers should pay their council tax to Cambridge City Council.
  • Extra care service is a specialist housing scheme that provides care in accordance with the person’s assessed need. Clients can have their meals, laundry and house cleaning catered for and there are regular social events and activities.
Services: AdhaAlchohol drugsAutism spectrum disorderCancerDementiaDisabilityElderly frailLearning disabilityMental healthSensory impairmentStrokeVolunteeringCoverage: Cambridge City