Information and support for young carers
All of the below are UK-wide unless they state otherwise.
Find your local young carers service – Find out what support is available for young carers in your local area – https://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/information/young-people/young-carers/local-service-finder
Support for families of disabled children. Information for parents. Helpline and workshops for parents. Occasional activities/trips for families – https://contact.org.uk/ and an active Facebook page.
Grants for families of disabled or seriously ill children – https://www.familyfund.org.uk/
Over the Wall
Over The Wall is a UK based charity for children with serious illness and disabilities, and their families, to discover a world of mischief and magic. A place where they can be brave and have fun with others. These amazing places are physical – in residential camps and also available online – with Camp in the Cloud and Camp365. And what’s more, it’s all free! https://www.otw.org.uk/
Sense run virtual book clubs, games nights and online wellbeing sessions. They also run online workshops on different topics for young people and their parents. https://www.sense.org.uk/our-services/support-for-children/support-for-young-carers-and-siblings/
Sidekick is an anonymous and confidential text helpline service for young carers aged 13-18 run by Action for Children. Find out more here
They are a charity for brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults. They have information for young siblings but also run online workshops for siblings – https://www.sibs.org.uk/youngsibs/
Young Carers Support App
A free app designed with young carers which has information and self-care tips for young carers. Young carers/parents/professionals do not need to register or provide any information to access it.
- ‘Who Am I?’ Young Carers poem and animation – Sheffield Young Carers (You Tube)
- Wirral Young Carers – ‘No Wrong Door’ video
- Lung Theatre: Amplify project: graphic novels
- Barnardo’s Action with Young Carers Liverpool
- Barnardo’s Action with Young Carers – Being a young carer
- Barnardo’s Action with Young Carers – You Can Help
- Barnardo’s | Young Carers | #LifeStory – Laura – YouTube
- Barnardo’s | Young Carers | #LifeStory – Jenny – YouTube
- Barnardo’s | Young Carers | #LifeStory – Caitlin – YouTube
- Barnardo’s | Young Carers in Northern Ireland talk about the support they receive – YouTube
- Young Carers added to the schools’ census:
- Young Carers’ Rights – Making Them Real – document created by Young Carers National Voice (YCNV).
- Click here to play the Who Am I Poem recorded by members of Young Carers National Voice (YCNV).
- James’ story – Video around young carers and hospital discharge.
- Support Not Sympathy – Manchester Young Carers – YouTube – Young carer music video produced with young carers from Manchester Young Carers.
- Keeping Children Safe in Education – Statutory guidance for schools and colleges which specifically mentions young carers and the need for schools to be aware of their needs.
- Top tips for GPs – Produced by NHS England Health Champions.
- Top tips for mental health professionals [PDF, 644kB] – Produced by members of Young Carers National Voice Network (YCNV).
- Young Carers Animation – Aimed at Key Stage One Pupils (awareness-raising resource pack also available through Caring Together).
- All resources – Carers Trust –Carers Trust offers a wide range of resources and information for anyone who works with carers – this includes a Digital Education Hub for staff working in schools created by Carers Trust Scotland.
- https://www.facebook.com/CarersInBedfordshire/videos/687260179282740/ – Carers in Beds took part in a TV piece around young carers which is available on their Facebook page.
- Quick guide: Setting up a group for young carers in your school [PD, 163kbB) – Produced by West Sussex Young Carers and West Sussex County
- Young Carers in School Poster [PDF, 446kB) – Produced by West Sussex Young Carers and West Sussex County Council.
- Young Carers book list – a list of books based around young carers and includes bereavement – compiled by South Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership.
- Young Carers book list – a list of books featuring young carers and compiled by the Young Carers Alliance.
- Marie Curie – 10 top tips to help parents with life-limiting illness have conversations with their children.
- Siblings Australia e-book – e-book produced by Siblings Australia aimed at siblings aged 4-7 years old and their parents.
- Suggested wording for mental health referral forms [PDF, 138kB] – Produced by members of Young Carers National Voice Network (YCNV).
- Together Project – This was a project across Germany, Italy, Greece and UK focusing on a whole-family approach to supporting young carers. They have produced resources for awareness-raising and practice which are free to access.
- Young Carers Sports – An Expanding Agenda: An update by John Bangs OBE, Independent Carers Policy Adviser [PDF, 228kB]
- Football and Young Carers: A discussion paper by John Bange OBE, Independent Carers Policy Adviser [PDF, 1MB]
Research and surveys
- Supporting young carers from hidden and seldom heard groups: A literature review – The Children’s Society
- Out of sight, out of mind – Ensuring the needs of children of parents with a mental illness are not forgotten in the Mental Health Bill – Our Time for children of parents with a mental illness – 2022
- Sociodemographic characteristics associated with parenthood amongst patients with a psychotic diagnosis: a cross sectional study using patient clinical records – Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology – Radley, Barlow and Johns – March 2022.
- The Needs and Experiences of Parents with Psychosis: A Qualitative Interview Study – Journal of Family and Child Studies – Radley, Barlow and Johns.
- A Scoping Review of Interventions Designed to Support Parents With Mental Illness That Would Be Appropriate for Parents With Psychosis – frontiers in Psychiatry – Radley, Sivarajah, Moltrecht, Klampe, Hudson, Delahay, Barlow and Johns.
- Mental health professionals’ experiences of working with parents with psychosis and their families: a qualitative study – BMC Health Services – Radley, Barlow and Johns.
- Parenting interventions for people with schizophrenia or related serious mental illness (Review) – Cochrane Library – Radley, Grant, Barlow and Johns.
- The mental and physical health of young carers: A systematic review – Research department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London – August 2022.
- Our Time – Breaking the cycle – The economic cost of poor parental mental health in association with Jon Franklin – May 2022.
- Open University – Carer Research and Knowledge Exchange Network – A free access knowledge exchange resource for all those across the globe who require any form of carer-related knowledge.
- International Journal of Care and Caring – Cross-national study of adolescent young carers aged 15–17 in six European countries (conducted in the framework of the ME-WE project) – 5 April 2022.
- Children’s Commissioner – The Big Ask Voices: Shining a light on young carers – March 2022 – childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/2022/03/16/the-big-ask-voices-shining-a-light-on-young-carers/.
- Carers Trust – Carers Trust survey identifies steep rise in caring hours for young carers – March 2022.
- Full report on the Carers Trust survey It’s harder than anyone understands [PDF, 9.5MB].
- Caring Together – Snapshot survey of young carers around identification and support – February 2022 –
- Policy briefing document – From caring to support – we still need to close the gap for young carers [PDF 158kB]
- Overview of findings presentation – Caring Together Young Carers snapshot poll – Feb 2022 [PDF, 190kB]
- News story – Members of House of Lords ‘lost in admiration’ of young carers and determined to bring about change
- BBC News – Young carers: Thousands of children left unsupported – Published 13 November 2021 – BBC News research shows scale of young carers missing out on support.
- Caring Together – Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on young carers and their futures revealed – caringtogether.org/news/impact-of-covid-19-pandemic-ycad – 15 March 2021.
- University of East Anglia – Study by the University of East Anglia reveals impact of COVID-19 on young carers – 24 June 2020 – caringtogether.org/news/study-by-uea