Community volunteers helping you to get out and about
Travel Norfolk Car Scheme by Norfolk County Council offers community transport through volunteer drivers, helping adults reach vital health, social, and wellbeing services.
Give three working days’ notice. Book up to two weeks ahead
Who can access the service?
- Have specific health/social needs but not eligible for free transport
- Are unable to use or access normal public transport services
- Cannot access services using transport provided by family or friends
- Need a journey for essential shopping, e.g. food or medication
- Are not in receipt of any higher rate of disability payment or have a score above 8 points for mobility if in receipt of PIP
Note: If you’ve had a heart attack, stroke, or seizures in the last three months, you must be accompanied by a friend or relative.
Where can a driver take you?
- Medical centres (hospitals, clinics, doctors)
- Health appointments (dentists, opticians, therapy)
- Day care and respite care
- Essential shopping (food shop at supermarket)
- Social/wellbeing activities
Volunteer driver availability
Travel Norfolk Car Scheme aim to fulfil all trips but depend on driver schedules.
Sharing rides might be required.
Priority will be given to journey requests within Norfolk. However, journeys outside of Norfolk will be considered like hospital appointment.
- 45p per mile
- Pay cash to driver on travel day
- No other payment methods accepted
- Cost covers driver’s round-trip mileage
- We prioritise nearby drivers to reduce costs
- Staff will discuss if nearest driver isn’t possible
No immediate quotes, but driver can call with costs
Get cost info from driver during booking
- Up to 1-hour wait at venue sometimes possible
- Longer waits: driver leaves and returns
- Additional charges for extended waits