Government guidance for carers – how we can help you

The government has published “Guidance for those who provide unpaid care to friends or family” and also guidance for young carers and young adult carers. You may find these useful to read.

We can help support you with several things mentioned in these guidances. If you are a young carers or supporting a young carer also see our supporting young carers page.

If you want to find out more about those mentioned below or other ways we can help you please call us on 0345 241 0954 or email [email protected]

Note that we can provide you with a carer care packs including personal protective equipment (PPE) if this would be beneficial.

Advice from Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council

With the announcement of the changes to the shielding programme from 31 July the councils produced some general information about what this means and to let you know about the support that is still available to you. You can click here to download the Peterborough City Council and Cambridgeshire County Council COVID-19 Guidance JULY 20 – PDF 2MB


The Government has also produced updated guidance on shielding and protecting people who are clinically extremely vulnerable from COVID-19. If someone is clinically extremely vulnerable, they have been strongly advised to stay at home as much as possible and keep interactions outside to a minimum. This called ‘shielding’. From 1 August, the government paused shielding. Please click here to see the latest guidance on shielding.

Wearing of face coverings – when to wear one and exemptions

The Government has produced guidance: ‘Face coverings: when to wear one and how to make your own

This is useful to read as the guidance has changed over time. As well as knowing when you do need to wear a face covering, it can also be useful to know of situations in which you or the person you look after are exempt.

You can also view a guide on how to make a face covering using minimal equipment here.

What you should be doing to prepare

Also the ‘Create an emergency plan’ section of the Young Carers and Young Adult Carers guidance 

We are able to help you to plan for the unexpected and talk you through your options for possible situations.

The coronavirus restrictions and social distancing may well have changed what you would normally do if you were not able to care for the person you look after. For example, they affect the availability of other people to step in.

If the person you look after lives in the Cambridgeshire or Peterborough area you can register your What If? Plan with us. This is a free service funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council to look after adults with care needs during an emergency involving their normal carer.

If you are in Norfolk we can still help you and advise you of your options.

Caring for someone who is clinically ‘extremely vulnerable’

This is in the government guidance for carers, and for young carers and young adult carers. See also the ‘Getting food’ section of the Young Carers and Young Adult Carers guidance

We can support you and give advice.

For example, we can give carers a letter that they can show when shopping for the person they look after. Contact us if you want one of these letters or to find out more.

We are also are able to provide homecare by our qualified care workers. This can include personal care, medication support, meal preparation, shopping, collection of medication and more.

Maintaining your own health while you are looking after others

Also in the ‘Looking after your own health and wellbeing: how to take care of yourself’ section of the Young Carers and Young Adult Carers guidance 

We know your physical and mental health are very important.

We can provide information, advice and guidance by telephone, email, our website and through other digital channels such as social media and video conferencing. This includes information about specific local services you can benefit from.

Our Listening Ear and telephone support services are available to carers.

We are also working to support and connect carers by video meet-ups, phone calls and email (instead of the usual hubs and groups).

Having homecare for the person you look after can also give you a break from caring.

Accessing alternative care quickly if you are unable to provide care

See the information above about “What you should be doing to prepare”.

If you need time off work to care for a relative who has symptoms or is self-isolating

We are able to give advice about what support might be available or tell you who you can speak to for information that is specific to your situation.

Collecting prescriptions if you are self-isolating

Contact us to find out how we and other organisations near you can help with this.